The work of the NPPA has never been more vital than it is today. Since 1946, we've been the voice of visual journalists, and we are more committed than ever to crafting new ways to equip, support, and celebrate our members' work in new media. We are capitalizing on emerging technologies, developing new avenues for inspiration and comradeship, and as more members transition into new venues as visual journalists, we offer touchstone resources for developing sound business, cutting-edge technical, and essential networking skills. Let us be your voice in the face of an ever-changing media landscape.
Stay Informed, Be Inspired
- Members receive an annual subscription to News Photographer magazine – the leading publication of the visual journalism profession. Also included is the Best of Photojournalism special issue, published in December.
- Members are entitled to a wide range of special discounts and offers on products and services from third-party vendors, including discounts from Apple, customized equipment insurance, and much more!
- Members receive substantial discounts on registration fees on NPPA workshops and seminars.
Protect Your Rights
- Members unite with a powerful and respected organization at the forefront of fighting for press freedom and the rights of visual journalists.
- Members turn to the Advocacy and Business Practices committees for support and advice when problems arise.
- NPPA members participate in a number of exciting contests for still photographers, video journalists, multimedia producers, photo editors, and students!
- Members sign and adhere to the NPPA Code of Ethics, demonstrating to employers that you are a professional visual journalist, committed to the utmost integrity.
- Members receive a listing on NPPA's Find a Photographer service, offering employers a way to find local freelance photographers.
- Members access our Job Information Bank to find internships, part-time, full-time, or contract work.
- Members receive substantial discounts on registration fees for a variety of NPPA workshops and seminars.
- Members gain exclusive access to online education offerings.
- Members may access the NPPA Business Practices pages, offering a wealth of information and resources, including the Cost of Doing Business Calculator.
- Members who are just starting out in the field can connect with seasoned professionals to connect and learn through the mentoring and critique program.
- Members can interact with the NPPA's active, international network of students, visual journalists, and industry leaders, through our events, corkboards, discussion boards, listservs, and social media.
Enhance Your Resume
- Take advantage of volunteer and leadership opportunities through participation and involvement in the organization.
Identify Yourself as a Professional
Members may purchase a digitally printed NPPA photo ID card.
For residents in the United States and Canada:
Professional Membership $110 annually
Professional membership in the NPPA is open to all individuals who are working or aspiring towards working in the field of visual journalism. This includes those who work or freelance in photography, multimedia, audio, video, design, editing, producing, teaching, writing, reporting, or visual journalism on the Web. Members of the NPPA may work for an organization or institution, or be self-employed.
Student Membership $65 annually
Student memberships are available to those enrolled full-time in universities, colleges, and high schools who are studying in or aspiring towards the field of visual journalism.
Retired Professional Membership $65 annually
Retired memberships are available to those who are retired, and are no longer doing freelance or part-time work.
Family Membership $60 annually
Family memberships are intended for households with more than one member and must be purchased in conjunction with a fully paid Professional Membership at the same residential address. This membership provides the individual with all of the same privileges and benefits of a Professional Membership, with the exception that an additional copy of News Photographer magazine will not be mailed to the home.
For those residing in countries outside the US and Canada:
International memberships in the NPPA are now open to all professional and retired visual journalists, as well as students. Additional shipping fees apply.
Airmail: add $70 to any membership
Surface mail: add $15 to any membership (please allow 8 weeks for delivery of News Photographer Magazine.)
Click here to download a PDF of the membership application.