INDEPENDENCE, MO – Patricia Holloway, of the NPPA's Women In Photojournalism Conference committee, has issued a “Call For Entries” for the WIPC’s annual photography contest. This year’s photo contest theme is “Expanding Our Vision."
“There are no categories, only your interpretation of the theme,” Holloway says. “You can represent your definition of the theme through people, places, actions, or a milestone event.”
This year’s Women In Photojournalism Conference is scheduled for August 17 through 19 in Austin, TX, at the Hyatt Regency Downtown Hotel. For more information please see www.womeninphotojournalism.org.
To be eligible for the WIPC photography contest, the photograph must have been taken between July 1, 2006, and July 1, 2007. Each photograph is a single entry, and the contest is made up of single images (no stories or essays). Contest rules say that submissions are accepted only from women photographers. “Up to 50 winning images will be selected by judges, including up to 2 for Best of Show.”
Winners will be asked to submit an exhibition quality 14x18 inch print (matted) for a conference opening-night gallery exhibit on Saturday, August 18, in Austin, TX. Copyright holders retain all rights to the photograph and ownership, but the entrant agrees to allow NPPA and News Photographer magazine to print winning images in reports on the conference and in materials promoting the contest and conference, including a slideshow that will be posted on the Women In Photojournalism Web site.
Also, again this year there is one scholarship available for someone who may need assistance to attend the conference. More information on the WIPC scholarship is available here.
SUBMITTING PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THE CONTEST:
The entry deadline is 11:59 p.m. PST on July 1, 2007.
Electronic entries only; do not mail in entries, they will be discarded.
STEP 1: Prepare your images
Files need to be saved as jpeg, at 200-300 dpi at least 8 inches on the longest side.
- FILE NAMING: Since there are no categories, name your files with your initials first, the year 2007, then the number of photos from 01 to 10, separated by an underscore, then .jpg. Example for Jane Smith: JS_2007_01.jpg.
- Include the following information under the Photoshop FILE INFO or IPTC fields for each image:
- Caption Field: Image title, followed by a complete caption (DO NOT INCLUDE YOUR NAME HERE).
- Caption Writer: Your initials.
- Headline: Image title.
- Byline: Photographer’s name.
- Credit: Your affiliation or school.
- Source: Copyright holder’s name
STEP 2: Upload your images
Go to: www.womeninphotojournalism.org and click on “contest,” then “contest info.” Click on the “upload your entry” in the upper right hand corner.
- Enter info in each field, and then use the browse button to select the image from your computer.
- When you are finished, click on “Submit.”
- You must do this for each photograph entered in the contest.
STEP 3: Pay your entry fee
Entry fees (per entry)
Payment can be made via credit card at www.nppa.org.
Check or money order can be made out to National Press Photographers Association and mailed to:
Pat Holloway/ WIPC Contest
10904 E. 28th Terrace
Independence, MO 64052
(If you are mailing your payment, you must include file information with your payment to receive credit for your entry.)