ATHENS, OH – The New York Times has won the Best Use of Multimedia in the 2017 NPPA Best of Photojournalism contest for their project “The Fine Line” which documents the skills of Olympic athletes.
Kainaz Amaria, Rob Finch, and Juan Thomassie judged multimedia, the first category of the BOP at Ohio University. More categories will be judged in the coming days with more teams of judges.
The Fine Line is an interactive story that combines video interviews, slow-motion video and graphics to outline why an athlete like gymnast Simone Biles can do things that other athletes can’t do. The feature also won first place for Sports Multimedia Story. The New York Times won 10 awards overall in the competition, the most of any media outlet. The Washington Post won the Multimedia Portfolio Large Market (Team) category.
These are the winners in Multimedia in the 2017 Best of Photojournalism:
Special Award: Best Use of Multimedia
The Fine Line, The New York Times; PRODUCED BY: Rodrigo de Benito Sanz, Alicia DeSantis, Alexandra Garcia, Mika Gröndahl, Evan Grothjan, Taige Jensen, Yuliya Parshina-Kottas, Bedel Saget and Joe Ward; INTERVIEWS: Larry Buchanan, Leslye Davis, Juliet Macur, Bedel Saget and Joe Ward; VIDEO Editing: Alexandra Garcia, Taige Jensen and Meghean Felling; Footage: Larry Buchanan, Leslye Davis, Bedel Saget and Joe Ward; Color: Taige Jensen and Ben Laffin; GRAPHICS: Mika Gröndahl, Evan Grothjan, Yuliya Parshina-Kottas and Jeremy White; AUDIO: Taige Jensen and Michael Cordero; PHOTOGRAPHY: Photograph by Leslye Davis, Gregg Matthews; ADDITIONAL PRODUCTION: Wilson Andrews, Danny DeBelius, Alexandra Eaton and Grant Gold;
News Multimedia Story
1. They Are Slaughtering Us Like Animals, The New York Times; David Furst, International Picture Editor; Craig Allen, Photo Editor; Rodrigo de Benito Sanz, Graphics/Multimedia Editor; Jeffrey Marcus, Digital Enterprise Editor; Sergio Peçanha, Graphics/Multimedia Editor; Jodi Rudoren, Deputy International Editor
2. A Weekend of Violence in Chicago, The New York Times; Monica Davey, Reporter; Mary Ann Giordano, Editor; Craig Duff, Videographer; Todd Heisler, Videographer; Brent McDonald, Videographer; Matt Bloch, Graphics
3. Body Cameras: What Do You See?, The New York Times; TIMOTHY WILLIAMS, Reporter; JAMES THOMAS, Reporter; SAMUEL JACOBY, Reporter; DAMIEN CAVE, Reporter; Josh Keller , Additional production; Rumsey Taylor, Additional production,
HM. I Waited 96 Years, Katie Falkenberg, Los Angeles Times.
Feature Multimedia Story
1. Pageant Glamour for Those Who Have Reached the Age of Elegance, The New York Times; Whitney Richardson, Business Photo Editor; Roger Kisby, Photographer; Samantha Stark, Video Director, Camera; Taige Jensen, Video Editor; Abby Ellin, Reporter; Meghean Felling, Video Assistant Editor; Alexandra Garcia, Video Senior Producer; Kaylee King-Balentine, Video Executive Producer; Ashwin Seshagiri, Additional Production; Gayatri Kaul, Video Showrunner
2. Chicago Safe Passageways, The New York Times; Haeyoun Park, Reporter, Supervising Producer; Larry Buchanan, Reporter; Taige Jensen, Video Editor; Yuliya Parshina-Kottas, Graphics; Rick Gershon, DP; Alexandra Garcia, Producer
3. The 21st Century gold Rush, highline.huffingtonpost.com; Emily Kassie, Multimedia & Reporting; Malia Politzer, Writing & Reporting; Greg Veis, Editor; Rachel Morris, Editor; Gladeye, Design & Development; Sandra Garcia, Additional Design, highlineHM.
HM. Cuba on the Edge of Change, The New York Times; David Furst, International Picture Editor; Craig Allen, Photo Editor; Rodrigo de Benito Sanz, Graphics/Multimedia Editor; Grant Gold, Graphics/Multimedia Editor
HM. The American Thanksgiving, The New York Times; Sam Sifton, Reporter, Supervising Producer; Alicia DeSantis, Producer; Alexandra Eaton, Producer; Emily Weinstein, Producer; Leslye Davis, Videographer, Photographer; Margaret Cheatham Williams, Videographer, Photographer
Sports Multimedia Story
1. The Fine Line, The New York Times; PRODUCED BY: Rodrigo de Benito Sanz, Alicia DeSantis, Alexandra Garcia, Mika Gröndahl, Evan Grothjan, Taige Jensen, Yuliya Parshina-Kottas, Bedel Saget and Joe Ward; INTERVIEWS: Larry Buchanan, Leslye Davis, Juliet Macur, Bedel Saget and Joe Ward; VIDEO Editing: Alexandra Garcia, Taige Jensen and Meghean Felling; Footage: Larry Buchanan, Leslye Davis, Bedel Saget and Joe Ward; Color: Taige Jensen and Ben Laffin; GRAPHICS: Mika Gröndahl, Evan Grothjan, Yuliya Parshina-Kottas and Jeremy White; AUDIO: Taige Jensen and Michael Cordero; PHOTOGRAPHY: Photograph by Leslye Davis, Gregg Matthews; ADDITIONAL PRODUCTION: Wilson Andrews, Danny DeBelius, Alexandra Eaton and Grant Gold;
2. Will To Win, Nanook; Berta Tilmantaité, Karolis Pilypas Liutkevicius, Multimedia Journalist; Sofija Korf, Multimedia Journalist; Mindaugas Drigotas, Multimedia Journalist; Kazimiras Jarmolovkis, Web solution; Martynas Gailius, Matas Srebalius, Music, sound design; Egle Plytnikaite.
3. Decisive Moments at the Rio Olympics, Frame by Frame, The New York Times, Larry Buchanan, Reporter/ Photographer; K.K. Rebecca Lai, Reporter/ Photographer; Sergio Peçanha, Reporter/ Photographer; Bedel Saget, Reporter/ Photographer; Joe Ward, Reporter/ Photographer; Derek Watkins, Reporter/ Photographer
HM. The Unparalleled Style of Dannell Leyva, ESPN, Robert Booth, Photo Editor; Nick Galac, Photo Editor
Documentary Multimedia Package
1. Continental Drift: The Global Migrant Crisis, MSNBC.com, Amy Pereira
2. 30 Days, The Seattle Times, Lauren Frohne, Video editor; Erika Schultz, Photographer; Corinne Chin, Video editor; Audrey Carlsen, News developer; Frank Mina, Design director; Danny Gawlowski, Jim Simon, Project Editors
3. Believers, Ray Whitehouse
HM. A tragedy plays out in Little Rock when a police officer kills a colleague's father, The Washington Post, Whitney Shefte, Video Reporter; Kimbriell Kelly, Reporter; Scott Higham, Reporter
HM. Carbon's Casualties, The New York Times, Josh Haner, Staff Phographer; Hannah Fairfield, Editor; Jodi Rudoren, Editor; Gray Beltran, Web Designer; Derek Watkins, Interactive Graphics; Jeremy White, Interactive Graphics
Multimedia Portfolio (Individual)
2. Erika Schultz, Corinne Chin The Seattle Times, Family Pot Farm, Seattle's Vanishing Black Community, Quest to Wipe Out AIDS in South Africa, South Africa Home for AIDs Positive Mothers, Online Dating.
3. Erin Brethauer & Tim Hussin, San Francisco Chronicle, Last Men Standing.
Multimedia Portfolio Large Market (Team)
1. The Washington Post, projects
Visual Column, Recurring Series or Blog
1. The Regulars, San Francisco Chronicle, Erin Brethauer, Filmmaker and editor; Tim Hussin, Filmmaker and editor. Ole's Waffle Shop, The Oldest Goat in the Bay, The Opera Singer, Suu the Street Sweeper
3. ViewFind Visual Editing, Viewfind, Judy Walgren, Wrestling Cholitas of Bolivia; Judy Walgren, The Long Journey North; Taz Lombardo, Inside Iran’s Vanishing Bathhouses; Abby Connolly, An Unwanted Nation: The Plight of the Iraqi Kurds
No awards were given in the categories for Mobile Delivery Project or Multimedia Portfolio Small Market (Team) because of lack of entries.