Posted: August 30, 2013
Location: Durham, N.C. - Remote work arrangements considered
Type: Full Time - Experienced
Category: Executive Director/CEO
The National Press Photographers Association is the leading voice advocating for visual journalists today. Founded in the days of sheet film, box cameras and newsreels, our association works to support the working news photographer, videographer and multimedia journalist in the Internet age. Our Code of Ethics represents the highest standards in visual storytelling. Our advocacy efforts put NPPA at the forefront of today’s thorniest issues concerning journalists’ rights to do their work — and to earn a living from their craft. Our ongoing education initiatives provide fundamental tools to our members and prepare an emerging generation of visual journalists for the ever-changing media landscape. In light of these challenges, the work of NPPA has never been more vital than it is today.
With almost 7,000 members (newspaper, magazine and video photojournalists, editors, independent visual journalists, and students) as well as a global visual journalism competition fielding more than 13,000 entries in 2013, NPPA is poised to grow.
The Executive Director, reporting directly to the Board of Directors, needs to be a strategic leader who can develop, manage, market and evaluate the NPPA's programs, providing direction for the association as well as guide and mentor the staff and volunteers who help it function.
The successful candidate will understand the rapidly changing role visual journalism plays in all media on a global level, and will determine associational priorities that best serve our members.
The successful candidate will have proven management skills, exceptional budgeting abilities, excellent organizational skills, and experience working with a Board of Directors. That person must also be flexible and possess the ability to help determine, establish and communicate the long-term vision of the association.
Exceptional interpersonal skills are required to interact with association members, staff, the Board and volunteers in a motivating and productive way. The Executive Director must be open-minded,honest and forward-thinking, providing continuity and oversight for the daily administration of the association. He or she should also possess strong grant-writing abilities.
Although NPPA is headquartered in Durham, NC, the association will consider a remote work arrangement in the interest of attracting and hiring the best candidate.
• A leader with a demonstrated ability to inspire others, to build effective teams, and to meet established associational goals
• Financial management proficiency to develop and administer an annual budget of approximately $1.5 million; experience with audits is also required
• Experience managing relationships with various funding sources, including: memberships, advertisers, sponsors and foundations
• Grant-writing abilities
• Proven ability to foster alliances and relationships with other entities, such as associations, businesses, and visual journalism schools in pursuit of ambitious goals
• The ability to establish clear priorities and make strong recommendations
• Minimum 5 years of experience in association or nonprofit administration
• Working knowledge of the nonprofit world, including effective Board collaboration
• Excellent understanding of issues facing journalism and visual journalists
• A creative person who has found new and different ways to achieve set goals
• Excellent written communication skills
• Experience developing and overseeing marketing and public awareness products, including print materials, websites and multimedia materials
• Experience planning and managing major events such as conferences and workshops, professional competitions and fundraising events
• Experience developing and executing successful programs that improve understanding and support for media, preferably visual journalism
• Relationships with industry leaders and influencers
NPPA asks interested and qualified applicants to submit a cover letter, resume, salary history and a list of three professional references by eMail. Please include only “Executive Director position” in the subject line and send to: [email protected].
The Search Committee will accept applications through September 21, 2013.
NOTES: Telecommuting is allowed.
Additional Salary Information: Salary negotiable and commensurate with qualifications and experience.