Be a part of the largest network of working professional visual storytellers in the photojournalism industry! Become a student member with all the same benefits as a Professional membership but at nearly 50% the cost to take your knowledge and career to the next level. Our student members benefit from the invaluable networking and mentoring opportunities, the availability of scholarships, as well as the bridge to help students enter the job market, post-graduation.
Other benefits for students include:
- Networking/Mentorship access to NPPA’s database of working professionals
- Exclusive access to NPPA's Job Information Bank to find internships and work
- Portfolio Reviews
- Members Only Webinar Trainings like educational opportunities for topics such as Fair Use, Copyright, Caption Writing, Contracts, Rates
- Private Slack Channel to connect with other students around the country
- Ability to purchase the exclusive NPPA Photo ID Credential
- Discounts on registration fees for NPPA workshops and seminars
- Discount for student competitions and professional competitions
- Annual Best of Photojournalism competition issue
- Discounts on equipment and liability insurance, products and services
- Legal support through NPPA’s legal advocacy team
- Support from the vast network of like-minded people who care about the craft of photojournalism and its future.
- Access to the NPPA’s self-employment Cost of Doing Business Calculator
- Access to ethics training and resources
Photos by Bethany Swain
Becoming a student member of the NPPA shows a commitment to professionalism, and signing and adhering to our Code of Ethics looks fantastic to potential employers. We can help you develop the knowledge and the know-how that will boost your performance in the workforce.
Be a part of your school’s student chapter or start one yourself! Here’s all the details you need to know:
Student Chapters in good standing with a minimum of 3 NPPA members shall be awarded a stipend of $100 plus $20 per additional member (after the initial 3 members) up to a cap of $400 per chapter annually upon receipt of a satisfactory application or annual renewal. NPPA Student Chapters may allow a student member not associated with the chapter’s associated campus to join, if the chapter’s rules allow it. NPPA Student Chapters may also allow other NPPA student members to attend their events.
In addition to Student Chapters that are associated with a school, a Regional Student Chapter can be formed by a minimum of (3) NPPA Student Members.
All Student Chapter activities and elections shall be under the direction and guidance of an advisor who is a Professional Member or Retired Professional Member in good standing. All members of a Student Chapter must subscribe to NPPA’s Code of Ethics.
Stipends for the 2021/2022 school year are now available so start planning now to complete and submit your chapter application form (required annually to remain in "active" status with NPPA). Then begin connecting with other student chapters around the country!
Student chapter applications are accepted year-round. The stipend period opens Aug. 1, 2021, and runs through Dec. 1, 2021.
Complete the application form here.
Questions about student chapters can be directed to:
Email: [email protected]
2020-2021 Student Chapters
George Washington University
University of Nevada - Reno
School of Visual Communication, Ohio University
Penn State University
Rochester Institute of Technology
University of Florida
Harcum College Photography Program