In September 2010 the National Press Photographers Association joined an important federal lawsuit in a Constitutional challenge of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's laptop search policy at the border. On Friday a U.S. District Judge dismissed the suit after it sat in his court for nearly two years.
The National Press Photographers Association has joined several other photographer and writer advocacy groups in filing legal documents urging a New York judge to find that an artist who used a photographer’s images in art exhibits without permission did so in violation of copyright law.
NPPA's general counsel Mickey H. Osterreicher, along with additional representatives from a media coalition who are protesting the lack of photographers' access to President Barack Obama, today met with the Administration's press secretary Jay Carney and Josh Earnest at the White House to discuss the problem.
This is the portion of the White House Briefing of Thursday December 12, 2013, where White House press secretary Jay Carney answered reporters' questions about the lack of access to President Obama by photographers:
In the wake of this morning's Opinion piece by AP's photography director Santiago Lyon, published in The New York Times, which questioned the Obama Administration's unprecedented restrictions on photographic access to the President, today at the daily briefing members of the White House press corps grilled Obama's press secretary Jay Carney on the topic.
The National Press Photographers Association has issued a statement urging China to back down from its threat to expel dozens of journalists.
A veteran photographer says he is looking for answers after being accosted by Smithsonian security guards while recording a protest of fast food workers at the museum last week.
Haitian photographer Daniel Morel has been awarded $1.22 million in damages after a seven-member jury in a New York Federal Court reached a unanimous verdict against Agence France-Press and Getty Images today for "willfully" infringing upon Morel's copyright in 2010.
The apparently ever-increasing lack of access to President Barack Obama by independent journalists and news organizations who cover the White House has been evolving into a wave of deep discontent over the past year. This morning the swelling wave may have crested over on Pennsylvania Avenue following the hand delivery of a media coalition protest letter to White House press secretary Jay Carney.
If the NSA happens to have been listening to photojournalists’ cell phones recently, which isn’t all that far fetched given the news of late, they could have picked up on a lot of chatter about how we haven’t had any real access to the president during the administration of Barack Obama. Oh, it started out promising; this was going to be the most transparent administration in history, they told us during the first term. But in reality, access got worse and worse as time went by – and during Obama’s second term, it’s been nonexistent.